The Bluetooth Special Interest Group officially ratified the Bluetooth 5 standard on Wednesday, meaning Apple's next iPhone and iPad models could boast wireless accessory connectivity up to four times faster than the current specification at double the range.
Wednesday, December 07, 2016
A report on Wednesday claims Apple is in late-stage talks with the National Hockey League to bring iPads and supporting backend infrastructure to team benches, a deal similar to one struck with Major League Baseball earlier this year.
Although technically refusing to repatriate its international revenue to avoid taxes, Apple is actually keeping much of it in the U.S. in the form of bonds — and generating interest in the process, a report pointed out on Wednesday.
One day after Apple released its new single sign-on feature for tvOS and iOS device owners, longtime partner Disney and its ABC subsidiary added app compatibility with the new authentication service.
Apple has been attacked throughout the year for failing to jump on the Virtual Reality headset bandwagon following Facebook, Samsung, Google, HTC, Microsoft, Sony and others. Yet after a year of hype, VR headsets remain a niche that's failing to live up to even conservative expectations.
Contrary to recent predictions, a report on Wednesday claims the biggest changes coming to Apple's next-generation iPhone models are an upgraded "A11" SoC and new red color option, with the forthcoming handset likely to carry over the design language introduced with iPhone 7.
Apple has reportedly reached a deal to open a major new store at the Carnegie Library in Washington, D.C., a building some 113 years old sitting across from the Washington Convention Center.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $130 to $350 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $130 and $350 on pre-orders for every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
Wednesday, December 07, 2016
Apple could potentially offer iTunes rentals for movies that are still in theatres, a report said on Wednesday, which would give it a rare advantage over other rental platforms.
Wireless carrier T-Mobile has started a beta of Digits — a service that allows multiple phone numbers to be utilized in conjunction on one device, or one phone number to be shared across multiple devices on a carrier-level. The company recommends, however, that beta participants disable iMessage while using it.
In an invitation-only meeting at Tuesdays Neural Information Processing Systems conference, Apple's head of machine learning broke down Apple's specific goals for its artificial intelligence developments, and detailed where it feels it has an advantage of its competitors, giving a rare look at Apple's research process.
Shoppers this week can snap up instant savings plus free expedited shipping and no tax outside NY on iPad Pros and MacBooks (with savings of up to $150). First-gen Apple Watch Sport models are also marked down starting at $199 and select Late 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar systems are in stock and ready to ship.
Apple recently made changes to its service scheduling process, and is now allowing users to make appointments with certified third parties and the remaining Apple Specialists for repair and support.
Apple on Wednesday issued a seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers and the public, a mere two days after releasing the sixth one.
New research data shows that Apple's iOS saw a significant sales percentage boost with the release of the iPhone 7 family, with year-over-year sales growth in a three-month measurement period ending in October.
Last month saw the App Store achieve a new monthly sales record, Apple's senior VP of worldwide marketing said on Wednesday.
In email response to a customer regarding GPU anomalies associated with the Touch Bar MacBook Pro, Apple's senior VP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi suggested that the problem is solved in the latest macOS 10.12.2 beta.
Taking a cue from Nintendo, Sony's PlayStation division is reportedly aiming to launch six games for iOS and Android in the financial year starting in April.
New details about Fitbit's buyout of Pebble have emerged, namely that the deal is more about acquiring software and talent the company needs to fight Apple in the wearable arena, and less about the Pebble product line.
Apple's primary assembly partner, Foxconn, will soon invest in expanding its U.S. operations, the latter company said on Wednesday, apparently following in the steps of a similar SoftBank announcement.
ExclusiveLast call! Flash Deal: 2015 13" MacBook Pro for $1,124 with free shipping & no tax outside NY & NJ
For two days only, Apple authorized reseller Adorama is taking $175 off Apple's Early 2015 13" MacBook Pro (2.7GHz, 8GB, 128GB) thanks to instant cash savings and a promo code discount. What's more, Adorama will not collect sales tax on orders shipped outside NY and NJ and shipping is free.
Users delving into the latest macOS 10.12.2 beta have discovered strings aligning with potential support for a trio of new GPU families in future hardware — a refreshed Polaris 10, the unknown Polaris 12, and the Vega 10 series.
Apple on Tuesday unveiled its "Best of" selections for 2016, highlighting the year's most popular apps, TV shows, movies, e-books and other content sold across the company's various digital storefronts.
Tuesday, December 06, 2016
Minutes after Apple Pay chief Jennifer Bailey offered a brief update on Apple's payments product at Re/code's Code Commerce conference, Square CEO Jack Dorsey on Tuesday announced immediate integration with Square Cash virtual cards.
Headlining Re/code's Code Commerce conference in San Francisco on Tuesday, Apple Pay chief Jennifer Bailey said 35 percent of U.S. retailers now accept the company's fledgling payments service, a figure expected to grow substantially in 2017.
After picking up technology and staff from defunct streaming service Rdio in 2015, streaming music giant Pandora on Tuesday officially announced its own on-demand product that will take on Apple Music and Spotify when it launches next year.
Less than 18 months after its debut in 2015, Apple's fledgling music streaming service Apple Music recently surpassed 20 million subscribers, a milestone that took rival Spotify some seven years to reach.
iPhones account for 8 of top 10 cameras in 2016 Flickr report, Apple celebrates by offering Portrait mode tips
Photo sharing site Flickr noted that Apple remains the leading camera brand among its users, filling eight slots of its top ten most popular cameras. iPhones now account for 47 percent of its photographers, compared to 24 percent using Canon cameras and 18 percent using Nikons.
After throwing a spotlight on apps with support for its new single sign-on feature on Monday, and adding a clutch of compatible cable providers today, Apple's streamlined authentication service is now live for all users.
In Stock Alert: Apple's high-end 15" MacBook Pro (2.7GHz 16GB 512GB Radeon 455) in Space Gray & Silver
Looking to purchase one of Apple's high-end 15-inch MacBook Pros with Touch Bar but seeking instant gratification? You could be in luck: Apple authorized reseller B&H Photo has just taken receipt of several new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models — including the (2.7GHz 16GB 512GB Radeon 455) configuration — which are ready to ship out tomorrow with free expedited shipping and no sales tax in 49 states.
Apple has agreed to pay $450,000 to settle claims it improperly dealt with e-waste at facilities in Cupertino and Sunnyvale, the California Environmental Protection Agency said on Tuesday.
With a battery repair program already in place, Apple is under more fire from consumer protection agencies in Shanghai, with eight claims of iPhone 6 fires — but Apple blames external damage for the problem after inspection of the afflicted devices.
Four additional TV providers have joined support for Apple's single sign-on feature in iOS 10.2 and tvOS 10.1, though a number of conspicuous gaps remain. [Updated with feature going live]
Following a Tuesday meeting with SoftBank's chief executive, President-Elect Donald Trump tweeted that the Japanese company has agreed to invest $50 billion in U.S. business, and create 50,000 new jobs as a result.
President-Elect Donald Trump and his transition team have invited Silicon Valley tech industry leaders to a meeting in New York City on Dec. 14, and AppleInsider has learned that Apple is amongst the invitees, but may not attend.
Holiday shoppers can save $20-$80 on iPads this week at B&H with free expedited shipping and no tax outside NY. Or snap up a 13" MacBook Air while select models are $100 off. MacBook Pro discounts are also heating up with savings of up to $245 off 2015 models.
After pushing out an assortment of betas on Monday, Apple on Tuesday seeded the fifth beta of tvOS 10.1 for the fourth-generation Apple TV.
Mophie on Tuesday released versions of the Juice Pack Air for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, in fact its first dedicated battery cases for Apple's current flagships.
Google has updated its stand-alone search app for iOS, and has shifted the focus of information presented to user away from a personal upcoming events feed, and towards a curated news and current events feed in an effort to boost user interaction with the app.
- Instagram introduces comment & profile control features, anonymous reporting for self-injury
- Apple AI researchers gagged no more, now allowed to publish and confer with colleagues
- New study on holiday wearables sales gives Apple Watch dominant revenue lead
- Supreme Court sides with Samsung over Apple, says payments shouldn't cover whole device profits [u]
- Amazon could open over 2,000 grocery stores in massive retail push
- Samsung said to be following iPhone 7 by courageously omitting headphone jack in 'Galaxy S8'
- Impending iOS update to help diagnose additional iPhone battery shutdowns
- Independent Galaxy Note 7 analysis theorizes that too-tight battery led to inevitable failures
- Tim Cook refutes negative IDC Apple Watch report, says early holiday sales set new record
- Apple's 'Romeo and Juliet' ad puts iPhone 7 Plus camera in focus
- Netflix top grossing iPhone app after enabling content downloads
- Cloud accounting firm Xero adds Apple Pay invoice payment option
- Apple iCloud account sign-in, web apps suffer hours-long outage [u]
- Procreate for iPad updates with major layer enhancements, Photoshop import & more
- CBS CEO Les Moonves 'not unreasonable,' assumes DirecTV Now deal probable
- Apple issues new public & developer iOS 10.2, macOS 10.12.2 betas, plus dev-only watchOS 3.1.1 beta
- App Store highlights titles with support for single sign-on in iOS 10.2
- Apple adds Minneapolis-Saint Paul transit directions to Apple Maps
- Apple Watch market share falling amongst fitness trackers, holding steady with smartwatches
- Netflix uses 'chunk' analysis on downloaded video to save space, retain quality on iPhone
- South Korean developers complain Apple's iOS app refund terms causing financial problems
- Apple to open seventh Shanghai store on Dec. 10
- Apple adds basic support for Touch Bar in beta Web-based iCloud Photo Library
- Burglars ram SUV into Palo Alto Apple store in smash-and-grab raid
- UK police turn to stealing in-use iPhones from suspects on the street, bypassing encryption
- Apple Deals: Save $169 to $369 on 27-inch iMac 5Ks & 21.5-inch iMac 4Ks with AppleCare
- Examined: FileMaker Pro 15 ecosystem for macOS, Windows, and iOS
- Review: Powerbeats3 with Apple W1 chip are the most reliable Bluetooth headphones we've ever used
- This week on AI: 'iPhone 8' plans, Apple Maps drone fleet, MacBook Pro performance shootout & more
- Apple expresses interest in autonomous vehicle testing in letter to NHTSA
Monday, December 05, 2016
Sunday, December 04, 2016
Saturday, December 03, 2016