Developer Marco Arment on Friday released Overcast 2, an update to the popular iOS podcast app that makes it completely free to use and adds several significant improvements, such as streaming and early 3D Touch support.
Friday, October 09, 2015
The Obama administration will not force corporations to decrypt communications for law enforcement, FBI director James Comey announced at a U.S. Senate hearing of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.
Search alternative DuckDuckGo, which is available as a default search option in Apple's Safari browser, is profitable without tracking user behavior, the company's CEO has revealed.
Apple is currently doing far better at keeping supplies of the iPhone 6s available than it did with the iPhone 6 or iPhone 5s, according to research conducted by investment firm Piper Jaffray.
On this week's AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor talk about the 4th anniversary of Steve Jobs' passing, Neil gives his thoughts on the Steve Jobs movie, we discuss iMac rumors, 4K video, and the new Microsoft Surface Book and what it means for iPad.
Thursday, October 08, 2015
In a bid to protect users against potential man-in-the-middle attacks, Apple on Thursday confirmed the removal of multiple iOS content blockers, also referred to as ad blockers, that relied on the installation of root certificates to operate.
Almost one month after the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus launch in September, Apple on Thursday started sales of factory unlocked SIM-free handsets that come unbound from carrier contract commitments.
Entrepreneur Elon Musk is apparently unconcerned that Apple could become a potential rival in the electric car space, saying the Cupertino, Calif., tech giant is where former employees go if they "don't make it" at Tesla.
Apple Pay is about to expand its footprint in a big way as Starbucks, KFC and Chili's locations across the U.S. are preparing to support Apple's touchless payments service in 2016, with pilot programs rolling out this year.
Trying to quell rumors, Apple on Thursday issued a statement claiming there is little difference in the battery life of iPhones using A9 chips made by TSMC versus those made by Samsung.
Apple saw its worldwide Mac sales rise 1.5 percent over the third quarter of 2015, while U.S. shipments jumped 7.3 percent, bucking an ongoing downward trend in the overall PC marketplace.
Apple on Thursday laid plans to ship the iPhone 6s and Apple Watch to still more countries toward the end of October, on top of other recently-announced rollouts. [updated]
AT&T began turning on Wi-Fi Calling for a portion of subscribers on Thursday, just days after receiving a waiver from the Federal Communications Commission, AppleInsider has learned.
DJI on Thursday unveiled the Osmo, an integrated 4K camera and handheld three-axis stabilizer that connects to Apple's iPhone for even greater control and capabilities.
Apple's newly launched iPhone Upgrade Program will drive handset owners to upgrade their devices even faster than before, adding to the company's bottom line over the next four-plus years and pushing its stock higher, investment firm Piper Jaffray believes.
The iPhone 6s shoots 4K video that, when downscaled, is superior to the 1080p video from a Nikon D750 DSLR setup costing between $3,000 and $4,000, according to a recent comparison.
Bowers & Wilkins on Thursday launched the Zeppelin Wireless, marking the now comparatively rare addition of another AirPlay device to the speaker market.
Configuration files in Apple's latest beta of OS X 10.11.1 reveal a trio of new hardware updates likely to arrive soon: a new Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Mouse 2, plus a Magic Keyboard.
The Lightroom photo workflow apps for iPhone and iPad are now completely free to use, ditching a former requirement to sign up for a Creative Cloud subscription or own the desktop software.
Enhanced editions of all seven books in the blockbuster "Harry Potter" series, featuring the original text with interactive animations and elaborate artwork, are now available exclusively on the iBooks Store, Apple announced on Thursday.
According to a patent application published on Thursday, Apple is actively investigating the integration of inductive charging technology into its devices using multi-mode versions of electrical coils already found in speakers, microphones and haptic engines.
Wednesday, October 07, 2015
Adding his voice to recent remembrances of late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, company CDO Jony Ive told attendees of the Vanity Fair New Establishment Summit that his memory of Jobs has been distilled over the four years since his death.
At the Vanity Fair New Establishment Summit on Wednesday, Apple executive Jimmy Iovine said free-to-stream and so-called "freemium" pricing models are killing the music industry, saying tech companies that offer such services are profiting on the backs of artists.
According to Apple's latest statistics, iOS 9 is now installed on 57 percent of all compatible devices accessing the App Store, a 7 percent uptick over the past two weeks.
Microsoft on Wednesday released an Office for Mac 2011 update to fix a major bug with OS X El Capitan, which previously prevented users from reading email in Outlook.
Apple's iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are now officially on sale, but buyers still need to decide what to do with their old device. As in years past, AppleInsider takes a look at nearly a dozen big-name buyback services and retailers looking to attract your iPhone trade-ins [updated Oct. 6 with the latest values].
Wednesday, October 07, 2015
Beginning in November, Verizon will start sharing the data gathered by its so-called "supercookie" identifier with AOL's ad network — potentially raising privacy and security concerns, a report noted on Wednesday.
Before you reset your old iPhone, remember to unpair and back up your Apple Watch to ensure a seamless transition to the new iPhone 6s. Here's how to successfully transfer your Apple Watch from your old iPhone to a new one.
Clips of an internal Apple video show the "softer side" of Steve Jobs as he addresses Apple workers in 2007, just one day before the launch of the first-generation iPhone.
Apple on Wednesday issued its latest beta of OS X 10.11.1 to both developers and members of its public beta program, arriving less than a week after the second pre-release build.
Customers of U.K. bank Barclays will have to wait until early 2016 to use of Apple Pay on their iPhones, iPads, and Apple Watches, according to an email from the company's CEO of Personal and Corporate Banking.
Google on Wednesday announced a new open-source project dubbed Accelerated Mobile Pages, intended to increase the hits publishers receive on articles, and hence the public's exposure to advertising.
Samsung Electronics on Wednesday called for its operating profits to rise in the third quarter, putting an end to an almost two-year decline — though the recovery is reportedly based mostly on chip sales.
Beats on Wednesday announced the Pill+, a new mid-sized $230 Bluetooth speaker, marking the first portable speaker accessory released under the ownership of Apple.
Tuesday, October 06, 2015
In a report to a New York district court published on Tuesday, Michael Bromwich, Apple's court-appointed antitrust monitor, said the company has made "substantial progress" in its compliance program, but still exhibits an unwillingness to cooperate with his investigation.
A week after Apple offered Pixar staff an early look at the new iPad Pro with Apple Pencil, the company let animators at Walt Disney's Feature Animation studio take its upcoming tablet for a spin. Interestingly, the artists commented that the device's screen surface has "tooth," or textured roughness, to augment drawing feel.
Nearly six years have passed since Microsoft began opening retail outlets patterned after Apple's blockbuster retail locations. However, the now 116 Microsoft Stores are still a pale imitation to Apple's own retail network of 460 locations, often featuring more employees than customers as the firm's products have failed to excite and attract buyers.
After decrying T-Mobile and Sprint's decision to roll out Wi-Fi calling without approval from the Federal Communications Commission, AT&T on Tuesday was granted a waiver to enable such features in the near future.
The latest statistics from analytics firm comScore reveal Apple continued to chip away at Android's smartphone marketshare in the U.S. for the three-month period ending in August, while iPhone moved further away from second place Samsung.
- iPhone 6s photos get sharper, better color with less noise via A9, 12 megapixel sensor
- Microsoft debuts Lumia 950 & 950XL phones, Display Dock, Band 2 fitness tracker
- Apple's 21.5-inch iMac with 4K Retina display rumored to launch next week
- Apple releases fourth beta of iOS 9.1, third tvOS beta for new Apple TV
- Microsoft unveils Surface Book laptop & Surface Pro 4 tablet with new Surface Pen
- From analog to digital: How Danny Boyle's 'Steve Jobs' captures the rapid advancement of technology
- European reservations open up for second-wave iPhone 6s launches on Oct. 9
- Apple's angled camera concept could enable virtual keyboard docks
- Microsoft exec jabs at Apple, tweets drawing of 'converged' toaster and refrigerator
- Porsche selects Apple CarPlay for new 911 models, nixes Google's data-hoarding Android Auto
- Latest Apple Watch ads mark shift in style, focus on Apple Pay, Siri, more
- Apple adds Boston and Sydney Transit data to Apple Maps
- YouTube for iOS gets 'material design' makeover, new editing tools in update
- Apple buys machine learning firm Perceptio, suggests development of imaging AI
- Rumor: iPad Pro, Apple Pencil & Smart Keyboard to go on sale first week of November
- Apple fixes iOS 9 app slicing bug, releases full text transcripts of WWDC 2015
- Apple acknowledges 'YiSpecter' iOS malware, says issue unlikely to affect most people
- Apple begins selling official Apple Watch lugs to third-party band makers
- Week in review video: Remembering Steve Jobs, build cost of iPhone 6s, 'iRing' & more
- Adobe reverses course, says Metal support in After Effects 'one possibility' [u]
- Four years after the death of Steve Jobs, Michael Fassbender talks about portraying an icon
- Irish minister says EU probe into Apple tax dodges should reach finding by end of 2015
- Laurene Powell Jobs 'repeatedly' tried to halt Universal's Steve Jobs film, report says
- Apple Watch Hermes collection launches in 10 styles & sizes at select retail locations
- Tim Cook marks anniversary of Steve Jobs's death, remembers a leader, mentor, and 'dear friend'
- Adobe launches Photoshop Fix, Capture CC, more at MAX conference
- New Philips Hue Bridge brings support for Apple HomeKit, Siri voice control
- Apple's Tim Cook accepts Visibility Award at Human Rights Campaign dinner
- Talent behind 'Steve Jobs' didn't worry about looking like or appeasing their real-life counterparts
Monday, October 05, 2015
Sunday, October 04, 2015