Struggling Japanese electronics maker Sony has conceded defeat the digital music market, announcing on Wednesday that it will close its cross-platform Music Unlimited service at the end of March and refer customers to another iTunes & Beats Music competitor, Spotify.
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Activist investor Carl Icahn believes shares of Apple should be valued much higher than their current trading price, and on Wednesday said he even plans to revise his own price target for the stock, which he called a "no-brainer" investment.
Apple's stunning first quarter of fiscal 2015 blew virtually every prediction out of the water, and left Wall Street analysts rushing to increase their price targets on Wednesday as the stock jumped higher.
Downloads still aren't translating to dollars for Google and developers who create applications for its Play store for Android devices, as Apple's iOS App Store remains far and away the most profitable digital storefront, according to the latest data.
Apple reported the biggest quarter in its history this week — and one of the largest by any company ever — by nearly every metric imaginable. AppleInsider puts those mind-boggling numbers into perspective.
Tuesday, January 27, 2015
Starting Feb. 2, customers walking into an Apple Store may notice something a little different as employees are expected to wear newly designed crew neck or polo shirts in a familiar shade of blue, but with repositioned and resized white Apple logos.
In a prepared statement issued on Tuesday, Universal Studios announced the full cast list for its upcoming Steve Jobs biopic, currently titled "Steve Jobs," including actresses set to play Jobs' daughter Lisa at three different ages.
Apple Watch owners may never need to worry about being outbid in an eBay auction again, as a new job listing posted by the Internet auctioneer suggests advanced development of a bespoke Apple Watch app.
As many industry analysts predicted, iPad sales saw a steep year-over-year decline for the first fiscal quarter of 2015, but CEO Tim Cook is optimistic and sees great potential in Apple's upcoming hardware pipeline.
Apple Pay now accounts for two out of every three dollars processed through contactless payment systems, a huge achievement for Apple's NFC-based solution that debuted less than three months ago.
During its quarterly conference call on Tuesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced the company had sold its one billionth iOS device in the December quarter, a device that will be kept at Cupertino for posterity.
Apple on Tuesday announced a record smashing $74.5 billion in revenue with the usual suspects U.S. and Europe sales ticking the highest numbers, but China is quickly moving in on second place after bringing in a huge $16.1 billion.
During Apple's quarterly conference call on Tuesday, CEO Tim Cook said Apple Watch development is on track and expects to launch the device in April, coming in just under the company's "early 2015" promise.
Apple reported the biggest quarter in its company's history on Monday, selling nearly 100 million iPhones and iPads to earn $74.6 billion in quarterly revenue. Following the announcement, executives from the company participated in a conference call with analysts and the media, and notes of interest follow.
Apple completely crushed not only its own all-time records, but also even the loftiest expectations on Wall Street on Tuesday, selling a whopping 74.5 million iPhones on its way to $18 billion in net profit in a single, massively successful quarter.
More than 200,000 self-service stations across America — including vending machines, coffee brewers, parking pay stations, kiosks and laundry equipment — will gain compatibility with Apple Pay, thanks to support from USA Technologies Inc.
Nearly five years after Steve Jobs published his infamous "Thoughts on Flash," streaming video service YouTube has announced plans to migrate away from the technology as users accessing the site via Chrome, Internet Explorer 11, Safari 8, and beta versions of Firefox will now be served the HTML5 video player by default.
Apple on Thursday added yet another sports channel to the ever-expanding Apple TV content lineup, while Twitter updated its iOS app with a new feature that allows for direct messages to be sent to groups.
Over the last fifteen years, brisk sales of iPods and then iPhones once predictably surged in a winter quarter Christmas wave that then ebbed during the March quarter. Since 2011, however, China has emerged as a counterbalance with its own massive holiday season: Lunar New Year.
BreakingApple's OS X 10.10.2 update fixes Wi-Fi connection issues, improves iCloud, patches security holes
Apple on Tuesday pushed OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2 to users, bringing with it changes that address potential security issues, Wi-Fi connection problems, and improvements to iCloud Drive and the Bluetooth audio stack.
BreakingApple releases iOS 8.1.3 reducing storage required to update, squashing Spotlight bugs, more
Apple on Tuesday issued an update for its iOS mobile operating system, addressing complaints about how much storage was required to install new software, and also fixing a number of bugs related to FaceTime, iMessages, Spotlight, and iPad multitasking gestures.
Apple's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have propelled the company to the top of the smartphone sales charts in China, a report published Wednesday suggests, knocking off former top dog Samsung and besting every domestic Chinese firm in the fourth quarter of 2014.
With just a few hours to go before Apple reports the results of its first fiscal quarter of 2015, Wall Street is hyped for what it expects will be a blockbuster, all-time record for the iPhone maker.
It could soon be more difficult to fool Genius Bar employees into servicing an iPhone or iPad under warranty after it has been carelessly dropped by the user, even without physical damage, as Apple has won a patent for embedding sensors into devices' cover glass to record strain on the part from twists and drops.
We all know what it's like to be stuck indoors thanks to inclement weather. Fortunately, the bevy of electronic devices that most of us now carry are capable of providing nearly endless entertainment if stocked properly (and the power holds out). AppleInsider took a look at some of the best games and apps for passing the time.
Thousands of Western Union locations will begin accepting Apple Pay, the company announced on Tuesday, providing customers a way to transfer money and pay bills with their iPhone.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday granted Apple's patent for an iPhone gaming accessory that extends in-game controls beyond the handset's display and onto D-pads or joysticks, saving precious screen real estate in the process.
Monday, January 26, 2015
It appears that eBay is stocking up on talent in preparation of an inevitable separation from PayPal, the latest hire being Bora Chung, a payments expert who served as Apple's worldwide payments for the Online Apple Store since 2010.
A week after Apple used a work of calligraphy to promote its latest Chinese Apple Store in Hangzhou, the company is again turning to art to tout a soon to open outlet, this time wrapping a mural around the new Chongqing location's iconic glass cylinder entryway.
- Apple's Photos beta for iCloud.com gets new image viewing and sharing options
- Apple Pay makes the cut for PGA Tour in MasterCard partnership
- OS X 10.10.2 will fix years-old Thunderbolt hardware vulnerability
- Apple closing independent TestFlight service at the end of February
- Fingerprint sensor for Google's Nexus 6 was nixed after Apple bought AuthenTec
- Investors should worry less about Apple product cycles, focus on loyal customer base, Piper Jaffray says
- Apple brings back complimentary iTunes content with new 'Free on iTunes' section
- Wells Fargo maintains neutral outlook on Apple, says market expectations too high
- After eating AMD & Nvidia's mobile lunch, Apple Inc could next devour their desktop GPU business
- Samsung reportedly nabs 75% of Apple's next-gen 'A9' SoC orders
- AppleInsider's iOS app updated with dismissible Plus trial option, remains free for all
- Adobe acknowledges critical remote vulnerability in Flash, exploits already in the wild
- How to safely move your Mac's iPhoto library onto an external drive
- KGI: iPhone sales forecast at 73M for Q4 ahead of Apple Watch debut in March, 12" MacBook Air in Q1
- I Bet My Life: Microsoft HoloLens perfectly targets its core competency
- Huge crowds gather for Apple Store grand opening in Hangzhou, China
- Review: Mobile Home puts Siri in the driver's seat
- Apple's Beats Music, others hit by lawsuit for allegedly misappropriating pre-1972 music
- Apple's HomeKit MFi program only began in November, chips still being finalized
- Apple captured half of U.S. mobile phone activations in Q4, demand still at record high
- Google's Project Zero reveals three new zero-day exploits in Apple's OS X [u]
- How AMD and Nvidia lost the mobile GPU chip business to Apple — with help from Samsung and Google
- Apple features calligrapher who created Hangzhou Apple Store mural in 'About the Artist' video
Sunday, January 25, 2015
Saturday, January 24, 2015
Friday, January 23, 2015